Notes from Groundwork conference:
- Single Identity Work is valuable, but a building block of a larger goal; the network among the blocks is what is important.
- Community cohesion is a multi-cultural vision, not a single-identity vision. Mainstreaming means the centre needs to change. Community relations and community development is the means to achieve community cohesion.
- Mainstreaming: Exec Depts taking community cohesion work on board
- Challenge of ‘joined up’: too much public administration, gap of public service delivery and expectation on the ground
- Single Identity work: how this fits in with community cohesion work
- Cost of segregation and a weak economy:
- Respect and relationships: local community leaders showing good examples
- Good practice and learning together
- Enhanced District Council Good Relations programmes, which includes ethnic minorities
- Enhanced CRC, with increased political and civic representation
- Tri-annual action plan on Good Relations